In order to gain CMS approval, there were multiple hurdles to clear.The first set of criteria was to show significant improvement in one or more of the following areas:
- Reduce the need for coronary bypass surgery
- Slow disease progression
- Lowered risk factors for coronary artery disease.
Pritikin met all three.
The second set of criteria that a program must meet is improvements in five of the six areas include:
- Lower LDL-cholesterol
- Lower triglycerides
- Lower Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Lower systolic blood pressure
- Lower diastolic blood pressure
- Reduce the need for medications